ARM realview breakages w/ 3.7 under qemu

Florian Fainelli florian at openwrt.org
Fri Dec 14 05:50:33 EST 2012

Le 12/14/12 11:47, Russell King - ARM Linux a écrit :
> On Fri, Dec 14, 2012 at 11:37:04AM +0100, Florian Fainelli wrote:

>>> I don't have the original email to reply to (so I don't have the .config
>>> either) but my guess for the above would be that HIGHMEM is disabled.
>> The original mail containing the .config file was actually rejected by
>> the mailing-list manager. I have uploaded it here:
>> http://alphacore.org/~florian/openwrt/realview-eb-config
>>
>> You are right, HIGHMEM is disabled. Even though enabling HIGHMEM does
>> not allow me booting either without at least 1Gbyte of RAM:
>>
>> [    0.000000] Memory policy: ECC disabled, Data cache writealloc
>> and we are stuck.
> Beware of the version of qemu you're using; older qemu had a bug in the
> handling of the SP804 timers which later kernels broke (it looked to me
> like qemu's SP804 code was written with assumptions about how the kernel
> worked rather than how the hardware works.)  This breakage means that
> the timer won't run, which in turn means

Do you know which qemu versions are affected? I use the Ubuntu 12.10
shipped version which is at 1.2.0. This is just for the RealView
EB-MPCore case, PBX-A9 works ok with respect to timer initialization.

>   that the kernel will get stuck
> trying to calibrate its delay loop.
>
> However, this does seem to be rather too early for that - and is around
> the memory map re-initialization minefield.  How are you getting these
> messages out of your kernel?  If you're stopping at that point you
> can't be using the standard ttyAMA driver.
The qemu command-line that I use is the following:

qemu-system-arm -M realview-pbx-a9 -kernel
bin/realview/openwrt-realview-vmlinux.elf -nographic -m 1000 -append
"console=ttyAMA0 earlyprintk"

As far as I can tell, this message is still being printed by the
earlyprintk stub, and not yet the console. The "breaking" memory value
is at 1016 Mbytes.
--
Florian