Your kernel patches for the Marvell Mirabox

Thomas Petazzoni thomas.petazzoni at free-electrons.com
Wed Dec 12 03:31:03 EST 2012

Dear Bernd,

On Tue, 11 Dec 2012 22:15:06 +0100, Bernd wrote:

> Thanks, that did the trick! Now the kernel boots OK until it can't find
> the root filesystem (I know the reason for that).
>
> It appears that there is a bug in
>
> $ make ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=../arm-2012.09/bin/arm-none-eabi- uImage
>
> The command it uses to create the uImage is (got it from
> arch/arm/boot/.uImage.cmd):
>
> /bin/sh /home/bernd/mirabox-dev/marvell-boards/scripts/mkuboot.sh -A arm
> -O linux -C none  -T kernel -a  -e  -n 'Linux-3.7.0-rc7-00250-g0c0029c'
> -d arch/arm/boot/zImage arch/arm/boot/uImage
>
> So no value given for parameters -a and -e.

Indeed "make uImage" is broken for any multiplatform capable platform,
because zreladdr is not defined (in order to be multiplatform, the
multiplatform kernel use AUTO_ZRELADDR, so there is no fixed zreladdr).
Since you're building a multiplatform kernel, there is no "one" entry
point address and load address: it depends on which platform you are
going to boot the kernel into.

I am not sure what is the plan forward. Maybe boot zImages directly
from U-Boot? Let people build their uImage manually?

Best regards,

Thomas
--
Thomas Petazzoni, Free Electrons