Tegra board file deprecation schedule

Marc Dietrich marvin24 at gmx.de
Mon Apr 30 04:58:10 EDT 2012

Am Sonntag, 29. April 2012, 13:16:38 schrieb Stephen Warren:
> On 04/29/2012 12:11 PM, Marc Dietrich wrote:
> >>
> >> What's the nvec?
> >
> > it is the embedded controller used on many first gen tegra2 boards
> > (drivers/staging/nvec). Do you remember commit 55dc6ee7 ?

> >> clk_get() is preferred in drivers which have struct device's to get them.
> >> And if you know the device name, then I see no problem with the aliasing
> >> approach.
> >
> > I'm just looking for a way to use clk_get if two devices, tegra-i2c and
> > nvec (or tegra-i2c-slave in the future) share the same clock.
>
> Oh, you mean the I2C controller clock.
>
> The correct approach here is to remove all the I2C logic from the NVEC
> driver and add I2C slave support to the real I2C driver. Then, NVEC
> becomes just a protocol driver for the slave transactions. Then, there
> is no clock to deal with.

you are absolutely right, but there is no i2c slave controller driver in
mainline yet and I don't want to submit the one nvidia already wrote [1].
Maybe you can ask around if someone is willing to do this.

Anyway, removal of the board files will not make it worser than it is already
so this is not a show stopper.

Marc

[1] http://nv-
tegra.nvidia.com/gitweb/?p=linux-2.6.git;a=blob;f=drivers/i2c/busses/i2c-
slave-tegra.c;hb=linux-tegra-nv-3.1