possible MXS-i2c bug

Marek Vasut marex at denx.de
Thu Apr 26 07:26:29 EDT 2012

Hi,

I recently tried mxs-i2c (on 3.4-rc4) with at24 eeprom, didn't work as expected.

Apparently, there might be some timing issue, when I put printk() into the at24
driver eeprom write function, it "fixed" itself. Though, replacing the i2c
driver with i2c gpio also fixed the issue, so I suspect the i2c driver has some
flaw in it.

Further investigation turned out, that the complete() isn't called in the mxs-
i2c driver irq handler unless I put the printk(). Putting the printk() in the
xfer function of the mxs-i2c driver instead of eeprom write function has the
same effect -- "fixing" it.

I didn't have time to properly investigate this matter, so consider this as a
quick and dirty bugreport (maybe?). But thie behavior I saw it quite easily
replicated, try:

dd if=/dev/zero of=/sys/bus/devices/0-00XY/eeprom bs=<sizeof eeprom> count=1

And the write will timeout.

Has anyone recently tested the driver with such eeprom? Anything from the 24xxx
series with 16 bit addresses has this problem. I tested and saw this on more
than one board, so this is not hardware issue.

If noone has any fixes already, I'll debug this tonight or so.

Thanks!

Best regards,
Marek Vasut