Link failures due to __bug_table in current -next

Nicolas Pitre nico at fluxnic.net
Tue Sep 20 15:57:10 EDT 2011

On Tue, 20 Sep 2011, Russell King - ARM Linux wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 20, 2011 at 10:00:06AM -0700, Simon Glass wrote:
> > Hmm even more out there, I wonder if we can modify the BUG macro to
> > put the bug table entry into one of two separate depending on whether
> > BUG is in an __exit function or not? Then at link time, either concat
> > the two tables, or just ignore the exit one...
>
> That was the same thought for the SMP alternatives problem - I think
> Nicolas proposed that there should be some way that the linker can
> do sections based on the current section name.  That'd allow us to
> have .alt.smp.exit.text and __bug_table.exit.text etc.

Initially that was proposed by Dave Martin, then I tried to push things
ahead a bit in the Linaro toolchain work group.

The thread with the latest exchanges can be viewed here:
http://news.gmane.org/group/gmane.linux.linaro.toolchain/thread=1270

In a nutshell, it seems that enhancing gas to support this isn't
trivial, and we are asked how beneficial (i.e. how much smaller the
kernel image would be if all those sections could actually be split and
discarded at link time) this would be to justify the effort.

Nicolas