Common clock and dvfs

Paul Walmsley paul at pwsan.com
Thu May 5 02:35:07 EDT 2011

On Wed, 4 May 2011, Colin Cross wrote:

> Imagine a chip where a clock can feed devices A, B, and C.  If the
> devices are always clocked at the same rate, and can't gate their
> clocks, the minimum voltage that can be applied to a rail is
> determined ONLY by the rate of the clock.

That's not so -- although admittedly it's a side issue, and not
particularly related to DVFS.

For example, the device may have some external I/O lines which need to be
at least some minimum voltage level for the externally-connected device to
function.  This minimum voltage level can be unrelated to the device's
clock frequency.

- Paul