Support for ARM940T core Samsung S3C2510A MCU under Linux

Greg Ungerer gerg at snapgear.com
Mon Mar 21 07:37:52 EDT 2011

Hi Arnd,

On 20/03/11 06:14, Arnd Bergmann wrote:
> On Saturday 19 March 2011, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
>> On Sat, Mar 19, 2011 at 10:53, Madhavi Manchala<madhavi.linux at gmail.com>  wrote:
>>> I have one basic question about the architecture files in Linux
>>> kernels. We have a board with Samsung S3C2510A MCU (ARM940T core)
>>> which is a no-mmu based CPU. I heard that "there was not a lot of ARM
>>> no-mmu support at the moment" from Ben Dooks.
>>>
>>> So, I started developing the architecture files for my Samsung
>>> S3C2510A MCU (ARM940T core) by looking at the existing S3C2410A
>>> (ARM920 core) architecture files. Is this my porting (developing the
>>> architecture files) correct?
>>>
>>> How can I port the Linux on to my board which has a Samsung S3C2510A
>>> MCU (ARM940T core) which is a NO-MMU based CPU?
>>>
>>> Please suggest me. It would be appreciated your help / suggestions.
>>
>> I think the uClinux mailing list (CCed) is a more appropriate mailing list for
>> your questions.
>
> It depends. Any questions regarding the ARM kernel should be on the
> arm-linux-kernel (also CCed now), since the nommu support is merged
> with the mainline kernel.
>
> uClinux seems to be rather focused on m68knommu (coldfire) these days,

That is more a factor of who shows interest and is active on
the uclinux-dev mailing list more than anything else though.
Quite of few different groups of people interested in non-MMU
ARM platforms have shown up over the years, but none seem to stay
active for long.

> and contains both a kernel and user space. The last uClinux release
> containst some changes for Samsung platforms (s3c24a0, s3c3410,
> s3c44b0x and s5c7375). It's probably a good idea to look at that
> code for reference, but I would suggest integrating the code for
> your platform in the upstream  tree directly.

Yes, highly encourage this.

> I could not find a git tree for uClinux that contains any recent
> kernel. Does that exist?

I used to keep one on git.kernel.org for promoting non-architectural
but non-MMU specific changes to mainline.

http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/gerg/uclinux.git;a=summary

But I have had so few changes that fit in that category that I
haven't used it in quite a while.

Regards
Greg

Greg Ungerer  --  Principal Engineer        EMAIL:     gerg at snapgear.com
SnapGear Group, McAfee                      PHONE:       +61 7 3435 2888
8 Gardner Close                             FAX:         +61 7 3217 5323
Milton, QLD, 4064, Australia                WEB: http://www.SnapGear.com