Fwd: [RFC] MMC: error handling improvements

Murali Krishna Palnati palnatim at codeaurora.org
Tue Mar 1 13:39:59 EST 2011

Linus,

These Prime cell ID registers are removed in the newer versions of the MSM
SDCC controller and are replaced with a different register that indicates
the controller version number. So, using these prime cell ID registers may
not be an option for us. Nevertheless, as you pointed out we can hard code
the AMBA ID in the platform device data and use that in the mmci driver to
handle stuff specific to this controller similar to what is done for ST
variant in mmci driver.

Though the bulk of the MSM SDCC controller is designed around PL180, there
are still some modifications to include flow control, SDIO support, Data
Mover interface (DMA engine on Qualcomm MSMs) etc. Support/ability to talk
to the Data Mover is one of the main differences when compared to original
PL180 prime cell.

Our main concern in moving to mmci is support for DMA that needs to be
added to this driver. I believe PL180 controller does have the ability to
talk to DMA engines, but i dont see any relevant support for that in mmci
driver, unless i grossly missed something.

Regards

P Murali Krishna

Sent by a consultant of the Qualcomm Innovation Center, Inc.
The Qualcomm Innovation Center, Inc. is a member of the Code Aurora
Forum.