[Linaro-mm-sig] [RFC 0/2] ARM: DMA-mapping & IOMMU integration

Jesse Barnes jbarnes at virtuousgeek.org
Mon Jun 13 14:54:37 EDT 2011

On Mon, 13 Jun 2011 10:55:59 -0700
"Michael K. Edwards" <m.k.edwards at gmail.com> wrote:

> As far as I can tell, there is not yet any way to get real
> cache-bypassing write-combining from userland in a mainline kernel,
> for x86/x86_64 or ARM.

Well only if things are really broken.  sysfs exposes _wc resource
files to allow userland drivers to map a given PCI BAR using write
combining, if the underlying platform supports it.

Similarly, userland mapping of GEM objects through the GTT are supposed
to be write combined, though I need to verify this (we've had trouble
with it in the past).