cpu_suspend does not flush the L2 cache

Will Deacon will.deacon at arm.com
Mon Jul 25 17:31:11 EDT 2011

On Mon, Jul 25, 2011 at 09:08:20PM +0100, Russell King - ARM Linux wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 25, 2011 at 11:49:43AM -0700, Scott Williams wrote:
> > In 2.6.39, CPU suspend/resumes crashes if an outer cache controller
> > (like a PL310) is configured and enabled. cpu_suspend only flushes
> > the L1 cache.
>
> Correct.  cpu_suspend is been a _consolidation_ effort across the various
> implementations.  Only one implementation deals with the L2 cache issues
> at present.
>
> A bunch of patches have gone in during this merge window to continue
> that consolidation effort and improve the cpu_suspend interfaces.
> Eventually the L2 cache issues will be dealt with in core code.

I seem to have the outer L2 stuff working pretty well in my latest kexec
series (my vexpress happily ran init=/kexec.sh all weekend). That should
hopefully provide all the necessary hooks in the core code. If not, we
should work something out.

I'll post what I have after the merge window (SMP still not quite there
yet).

Will