Linux ARM SMP kernel for qemu

Rabin Vincent rabin at rab.in
Sun Jan 23 00:44:11 EST 2011

On Fri, Jan 21, 2011 at 20:47, Kevin Pouget <kevin.pouget at gmail.com> wrote:
> do you know if it's feasible to compile a Linux kernel to be run by a
> Qemu SMP ARM machine? after so many hours of tries, I can say that any
> version of the kernel, any Qemu machine would be okay, provided that
> the SMP capability is set, and the kernel boots !

Try the kernel from latest git, QEMU from latest git, and the attached
.config.

The .config is just realview_smp-defconfig with:
 - PB11 and ARMv6 disabled
 - PBX A9 and ARMv7 enabled
 - CONFIG_REALVIEW_HIGH_PHYS_OFFSET disabled

Initramfs support is also enabled.  You can boot it with this line (you'll
need an initramfs or initrd to get to userspace):

qemu-system-arm -kernel arch/arm/boot/uImage -nographic \
		-append "earlyprintk console=ttyAMA0 mem=128M debug" \
		-M realview-pbx-a9 -m 128M -initrd ~/kernel/root -smp 2