Memory sharing issue by application on V4L2 based device driver with system mmu.

daeinki inki.dae at samsung.com
Thu Jan 6 07:57:06 EST 2011

Hello, all.

I'd like to discuss memory sharing issue by application on v4l2 based
device driver with system mmu and get some advices about that.

Now I am working on Samsung SoC C210 platform and this platform has some
multimedia devices with system mmu such as fimc, and mfc also we have
implemented device drivers for them. those drivers are based on V4L2
framework with videobuf2. for system mmu of each device, we used
VCM(Virtual Contiguous Memory) framework.

Simply, VCM framework provides  physical memory, device virtual memory
allocation and memory mapping between them. when device driver is
initialized or operated by user application, each driver allocates
physical memory and device virtual memory and then mapping using VCM
interface.

refer to below link for more detail.
http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-media/msg26548.html

Physical memory access process is as the following.
            DVA                          PA
device --------------> system mmu ------------------> physical memory

DVA : device virtual address.
PA : physical address.

like this, device virtual address should be set to buffer(source or
destination) register of multimedia device.

the problem is that application want to share own memory with any device
driver to avoid memory copy. in other words, user-allocated memory could
be source or destination memory of multimedia device driver.

let's see the diagram below.

                user application

                      |  1. UVA(allocated by malloc)

                    \|/                   2. UVA(in page unit)

        -----> multimedia device driver -------------------> videobuf2

        |        |     ^                                         |
        |        |     |                                         |
        |        |     -------------------------------------------
        |        |                    3. PA(in page unit)
        |        |
        |        | 4. PA(in page unit)
6. DVA  |        |
        |      \|/
        |
        |       Virtual Contiguous Memory ---------
        |           |     |                       | 5. map PA to DVA