platform data and mfd design question

Abhijeet Dharmapurikar adharmap at codeaurora.org
Tue Feb 15 16:51:16 EST 2011

Currently all the mfd devices declare their struct mfd_cell
sub_devices[] array within the core driver. The platform data to them is
either passed in as a part of the core driver's platform data.

Msm on the other hand declares the struct mfd_cell subdevice[] array in
the board file and passes this on to the core driver via platfom data.
This code can be found here (sorry for the long url - it is convinient
to click on it),
https://www.codeaurora.org/gitweb/quic/la/?p=kernel/msm.git;a=blob;f=arch/arm/mach-msm/board-msm8x60.c;h=ed9e9a7674b5ee443f25af828a0044ff99fac483;hb=refs/heads/android-msm-2.6.35
look for static struct mfd_cell pm8058_subdevs[]

This gives one the convenience of changing the mfd_cells and their
platform data in the board file itself. There are boards where the
platform data of some cells changes and in some cases we dont even add a
particular cell.

This design makes the core driver very light weight. All it does is
calls mfd_add_devices on the cell array passed from its platform data.

Will this be acceptable in mainline OR do we need to change to follow
how others in drivers/mfd do it which is to define the mfd_cell array in
the core file itself and manipulate their platform data before doing
mfd_add_devices.

--
Sent by an employee of the Qualcomm Innovation Center, Inc. The Qualcomm
Innovation Center, Inc. is a member of the Code Aurora Forum.