label string for kirkwood gpiochip

Holger Brunck holger.brunck at keymile.com
Thu Dec 15 09:40:08 EST 2011

On 12/15/2011 03:22 PM, Nicolas Pitre wrote:

>> The newer kernel version handles the gpiochip on kirkwood in a different way.
>> The orion_gpio_init function in arch/arm/mach-kirkwood/irq.c was called twice.
>> Once for first 32 gpios and a second time for the remaining 18 gpios. This
>> causes that the gpio framework shows two gpiochips in the sysfs with the same
>> label (orion_gpio).
>>
>> [@km_kirkwood /]# cat /sys/class/gpio/gpiochip0/label
>> orion_gpio
>> [@km_kirkwood /]# cat /sys/class/gpio/gpiochip32/label
>> orion_gpio
>>
>> So my question is simply, shouldn't be the string for a gpiochip unique in the
>> system and therefore this should be fixed or was this intended?
>
> I don't think that was intended.

Ok, how should this be done? We could add an additional  param chip_label to

void __init orion_gpio_init(int gpio_base, int ngpio,
                            u32 base, int mask_offset, int secondary_irq_base);

and fix the callers accordingly or we could add a simple static counter in
orion_gpio_init and add a suffix _0, _1, _2 to the label to make it unique
without touching the clients...

Best regards
Holger