realview compulsory enables CONFIG_ARM_PATCH_PHYS_VIRT on me

Linus Walleij linus.walleij at linaro.org
Mon Dec 5 16:22:05 EST 2011

Hi Nico,

now I'm lost, I discussed by boot problems on ARM PB1176
with Marc and after some investigation I found this strange thing on
the lastest rc:s since -rc1:

In arch/arm/Kconfig ARM_PATCH_PHYS_VIRT is forcibly
disabled like so:

depends on !ARCH_REALVIEW || !SPARSEMEM

However if I just configure it for the realview_defconfig:

mkdir foo
make -f Makefile ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=arm-none-eabi-
KBUILD_OUTPUT=foo realview_defconfig

It strangely selects this anyway, because now foo/.config has:
CONFIG_ARM_PATCH_PHYS_VIRT=y

Kconfig is a djungle to me, but I simply cannot find out
what is setting this anyway. The problem is not there on
v3.1, it does not get selected.

Any hints?

Yours,
Linus Walleij