since when does ARM map the kernel memory in sections?

Andrei Warkentin andreiw at motorola.com
Tue Apr 26 16:24:09 EDT 2011

Hi Per,

On Tue, Apr 26, 2011 at 5:33 AM, Per Forlin <per.forlin at linaro.org> wrote:
> On 23 April 2011 11:23, Linus Walleij <linus.walleij at linaro.org> wrote:
>> 2011/4/22 Pavel Machek <pavel at ucw.cz>:
>>
>>> Plus, I was told new MMC standard has "write reliable" option...
>>
>> I think Per Förlin looked into reliable write. The latest eMMC cards
>> has this, but OTOMH it was too darn slow to be used on current
>> chips/"cards".
>>
>> Per, Sebastian: any details?
> I had plans to add reliable writes and do benchmarking but I never got
> to it. Right now I have no plans to pick it up.

Reliable writes are in mmc-next already. As an improvement to that
path, I have a CMD23-bounded request support patch set which is
pending.

Reliable writes are exposed via REQ_FUA.

Keep in mind that flash cards don't have a volatile cache, so once an
MMC transaction goes through the data is in flash. All reliable writes
guarantee is flash state if an MMC transaction is interrupted in the
middle. Additionally, the "new" reliable write (as opposed to legacy)
is even less useful, since it only provides that guarantee at a sector
boundary.