Status of arch/arm in linux-next

Dave Jones davej at redhat.com
Tue Apr 19 12:27:42 EDT 2011

On Tue, Apr 19, 2011 at 06:01:19PM +0200, Arnd Bergmann wrote:
 > > Thinking of it, is it OK to put chip CPUfreq drivers into
 > > drivers/cpufreq/* instead of into the arch/arm/* platform
 > > code as everyone does right now? We could probably
 > > fix that and bring down the diffstat considerably.
 >
 > That's something to discuss with Dave Jones and other people
 > interested in cpufre. Right now, all cpufreq drivers, including
 > those for other architectures are in arch/.
 >
 > I think it would be good to have the out of the individual
 > platforms, in particular in order to get better reviews of
 > new cpufreq drivers by people that are interested in them.

The platform drivers are by their nature architecture specific,
so arch/ seems apropos.  drivers/platform/arm/ maybe ?

Though, having arm do something different to every other arch seems
a bit awkward too. Everyone else has their cpufreq platform driver
somewhere under arch/whatever/../cpufreq/..  so changing that
violates the principle of least surprise.

I'm also not convinced that moving them would increase review of changes.

What problem is this solving again ?

	Dave