Status of arch/arm in linux-next

Nicolas Ferre nicolas.ferre at atmel.com
Fri Apr 15 04:21:35 EDT 2011

Le 15/04/2011 04:59, Nico Erfurth :
> On 14.04.11 14:02, Russell King - ARM Linux wrote:
>
>>> It's going to take some time before the consolidated code starts
>>> being available.. And until we have something available, we all
>>> should aim for negative diffstat.
>>
>> I think we've already lost any hope of a negative diffstat - with 6k new
>> lines, we will need a heck of a lot of consolidation to counter that.
>
> I've just skipped through the board-files in mach-at91, there is a lot
> of potential for consolidation. But the big problem could be to find
> people who can test it afterwards.

My opinion is that you can do the improvement and propose it to the
community. I guess that the maintainer of the board will take your
improvements and tests them.

> It would also result in a bunch of
> large commits. For an example, I've merged board-usb-a9260.c and
> board-usb-a9263.c into board-usb-a926x.c
>
> Result:
>  arch/arm/mach-at91/board-usb-a9260.c |  236 --------------------------
>  arch/arm/mach-at91/board-usb-a9263.c |  252 ---------------------------
>  arch/arm/mach-at91/board-usb-a926x.c |  310
> ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Nice work!

So, anyway, even if the board maintainer is not testing, our at91
maintainer's view of it is that the move has to be done so we will
certainly merge it...

> In the end, the total LOC is a lot smaller, but the changeset itself
> "looks" big.

If it is consolidation work, it is ok.

Bye,
--