linux-2.6.36-rc4 problems booting rootfs from SD card

dylan cristiani d.cristiani at idem-tech.it
Tue Sep 28 10:04:34 EDT 2010

On Tue, 28 Sep 2010 21:45:57 +0800
Hein_Tibosch <hein_tibosch at yahoo.es> wrote:

>  On 28-9-2010 19:00, dylan cristiani wrote:
> > Hi sirs, here is my scenario: kernel 2.6.36-rc4; cpu pxa270;
> > platform is an enhancement (i like to see things that way...) and
> > customisation of the mainstone III board; here comes the (my)
> > problem: if i boot with my standard kernel boot command line (to
> > boot from system flash): 'root=/dev/mtdblock2 rootfstype=jffs2
> > mem=64M console=ttyS0,115200n8'
> >
> > i can get the rootfs up, and the SD card is up too, and correctly
> > working; here's the relevant kernel log:

> > XScale iWMMXt coprocessor detected.
> >  rtc-ds1307 0-0068: setting system clock to 2010-09-28 03:03:08 UTC
> > (1285642988)
> >  pxa27x-udc pxa27x-udc: USB reset
> >  mmc0: new SD card at address aaaa
> >  mmcblk0: mmc0:aaaa SD02G 1.84 GiB
> >   mmcblk0: p1
> >  pxa27x-udc pxa27x-udc: USB reset
> >
> > then the rootfs coems up properly.
> >
> > Else, if i try to boot the rootfs directly form the SD card, with
> > kernel boot command line:
> > 'root=/dev/mmcblk0p1 rootfstype=ext2 mem=64M console=ttyS0,115200n8'
> >
> > the rootfs doen't work, and i can see some problems around with usb
> > client gadget; here's the relevant kernel log:
> >
> Hi Dylan
>
> A reason could be that you linked the ext2 driver as a module,
> which is normally loaded after your jffs2 fs has booted?
> The solution would be to link it into the kernel, thus using
> "CONFIG_EXT2_FS=y" in stead of "=m"
Hi Hein, foa thanks for your answer, but the ext2 driver in compiled
into kernel not as a module but buil-into the kernel so i've already:
"CONFIG_EXT2_FS=y"
setted in my .config file
as i told you the booting form SD worked till 2.6.19 kernel and first
trouble i've seen is into 2.6.20

> Note that ext3 is again more stable than ext2 and also supported by
> u-boot.
>
> I hacked init/do_mounts.c
>
> -        printk("VFS: Cannot open root device \"%s\" or %s\n",
> -                root_device_name, b);
> +        printk("VFS: Cannot open root device \"%s\" or %s (fstype %s
> err %d)\n",
> +                root_device_name, b, fs_names, err);
>
> so at least I get some more error information.
i'll try this and if i'll get more info i'll post them

> Good luck!
tks
dylan