devicetree in arm

Grant Likely grant.likely at secretlab.ca
Thu Mar 18 09:54:05 EDT 2010

On Thu, Mar 18, 2010 at 7:23 AM, Russell King - ARM Linux
<linux at arm.linux.org.uk> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 18, 2010 at 07:14:05AM -0600, Grant Likely wrote:
>> ARM device tree support is very much in flux, and that particular
>> branch gets rebased a lot as device tree code from Sparc, Microblaze
>> and Powerpc is merged into drivers/of.  I may have ended up pushing
>> out to test-devicetree without the ARM patches applied.  I'll look at
>> it today, make sure the ARM stuff is all there, and then push it out
>> again.
>>
>> Note however that this is only very basic support.  It doesn't yet
>> have the code needed to register devices and drivers from device tree
>> data.  That will be coming real-soon-now.
>
> Is someone going to do a device tree example port to a 'real' platform
> rather than simple the ARM evaluation boards?

I'm working on OMAP and others, and Jeremy is working on i.MX51
targeting real product.  Visible progress has been slow since there is
a lot more back end infrastructure work than I was expecting to get
the ppc, sparc and microblaze code merged into a common code base and
to move away from the whole of_platform bus stuff (so that regular
platform drivers work).  The alternative would be to add yet another
duplicate copy of device tree code to ARM which I will not do, and I
know you wouldn't accept anyway.  :-)

g.

--
Grant Likely, B.Sc., P.Eng.