USB mass storage and ARM cache coherency

Russell King - ARM Linux linux at arm.linux.org.uk
Thu Mar 4 12:54:34 EST 2010

On Thu, Mar 04, 2010 at 05:34:28PM +0000, Catalin Marinas wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-03-04 at 16:30 +0000, Russell King - ARM Linux wrote:

> > > SH used to use it as a PG_mapped which was roughly similar to the
> > > PG_dcache_clean approach, at which point things like flushing for the PIO
> > > case in the HCD wasn't necessary. It did result in rather aggressive over
> > > flushing though, which is one of the reasons we elected to switch to
> > > PG_dcache_dirty.
> > >
> > > Note that the PG_dcache_dirty semantics are also outlined in
> > > Documentation/cachetlb.txt for PG_arch_1 usage, so it's hardly esoteric.
> >
> > Indeed; the ARM approach was basically taken from Sparc64.
> [...]
> > The general critera (from memory) seems to be:
> > - a virtual indexed aliasing cache (whether it be VIVT or VIPT aliasing)
> > - write allocate caches show the problem better than read allocate only
> > - using a block device for the filesystem
> > - mmap'ing a page and immediately accessing the last few cache lines in
> >   that page
>
> It actually triggers easily with a non-aliasing VIPT cache (can't even
> start /sbin/init). The main condition is for the caches to be in
> write-allocate mode (and the processor to support this, i.e. Cortex-A9).
>
> A simple test is to use an ext2/3 filesystem (cramfs, jffs2 etc.
> wouldn't do since they call flush_dcache_page) on a compact flash card
> using the pata_platform driver (and without commit 2d68b7fe55d9e19).

Yes, but this is a combination of hardware has only become available to
me in the last three months.

Previously, I've had reports of ext2 on CF cards on PXA255 based systems
giving problems.  However, I have a PXA255 system which runs its rootfs
off a CF card (which runs applications such as Abiword and gnumeric), but
it has never exhibited the reported problems...