board/device file names, and machine names

Bill Gatliff bgat at billgatliff.com
Tue Mar 2 22:42:06 EST 2010

> Yeah, but HTC used a totally different name .. So why is your any more
> important than their name?

Well..... 'Cause they got there first.  :)

> Isn't this something Android specific tho? (you could reflash the
> bootloader too can't you?)

Half the appeal of getting the Google/Qualcomm kernels into kernel.org,
at least for me, is being able to see the Very Same Code that's running
on my Nexus One phone.  If I have to reflash something to be able to use
the kernel.org kernels--- especially if the reflashing is just to
implement a name change--- then I lose the confidence that I'm looking
at the same thing that my phone is running.

> Your not looking at it from the developers point of view .. Your
> assuming your team does coding, and everyone else just uses the code ..
> Which I don't think is what's going to happen.

As a developer, I really don't care what the files are named, unless
those file names are the sole documentation available for the platform.
As long as the various names for the hardware are documented
_somewhere_, then you've provided the information that I'm seeking.  In
that case, you could call the files board-q1.c, board-q2.c, and so on
and I'd be just as happy.

> It's like I said above, no one knows what mahimahi is. Eveyone knows
> what nexus one is.

But we don't really care about either specifically--- we just need to
know that they both refer to the same thing.

b.g.

--
Bill Gatliff
Embedded systems training and consulting
bgat at billgatliff.com