[GIT PULL] pxa: patches for next merge window

Russell King - ARM Linux linux at arm.linux.org.uk
Mon Mar 1 10:16:30 EST 2010

On Mon, Mar 01, 2010 at 09:23:37PM +0800, Eric Miao wrote:
> Russell,
>
> Regarding the problem of my rebased three commits that were already
> merged into your tree, I'm seeing three ways out:
>
> 1. merge back your devel branch (tried and as you suggested is not a
> very clean way)
>
> 2. merge linus v2.6.33-rc? and get the other commits rebased
>
> 3. rebase all the other commits against your devel branch or (devel-stable)
>
> Just lemme know which is the best approach.
>
> BTW, it would be very helpful to us if we are able to understand the
> difference and how you maintain 'devel' and 'devel-stable' branch?

The devel branch is unstable - it's a combination of topic branches,
and these topic branches are regularly re-merged to produce a single
head for Stephen Rothwell to pull into -next.  The other reason for
publishing it is to give Nicolas (and others) something to look at so
they know what's going on in my tree.

It also occasionally receives truely unstable patches for testing
purposes, which very well could be dropped - eg, if they cause build
errors.  (Remember - I have no practical way to test patches which
affect many ARM platforms, except by getting linux-next to pick them
up.)

What this means is that the commit IDs of the merges and occasionally
patches will change, and as such, basing anything on top of it is a
recipe for disaster.

In theory, the devel-stable branch receives merges of external trees,
occasionally receives local merges from stable topic branches, but is
never rebased and no commits are ever undone on it.

So, basing patches on top of devel-stable should be safe.

If you can arrange for your tree to be rebased upon devel-stable, that
should solve the problem, and avoid any need to mess around with what's
already committed there.