Flash write endurance (write cycle) test for AT91RM9200 boards

Marek Vasut marek.vasut at gmail.com
Wed Jun 30 10:17:46 EDT 2010

Dne Po 28. června 2010 22:39:07 Xiachen Dong napsal(a):
> Hi,
>
> We use AT91RM9200 MCU and made our own motherboard for it. We wish to know
> how many write cycles the flash (MicroSD and DataFlash) may survive under
> both OS and non-OS situation. We also wish to know the behavior of the
> flash when the flash becomes dead.

I believe the number of write cycles is unlimited, but at some point, you won't
be able to read the data back ;-) If the flash becomes dead, kernel will mark a
bad block and that's all (you'll be informed). Writes to this block will be
redirected to some healthy block. You'll probably have the flash partitioned and
run some FS on top of it, which will take care of load balancing the flash
blocks. You don't have to worry that the flash will die fast if you don't swap
on it.

Cheers