Unhandled fault: imprecise external abort

Pankaj Pandey pankaj.embedded at gmail.com
Wed Jun 23 11:59:57 EDT 2010

Hi,

I am working on Freescale MXC series based target board runing  with 2.6.31
kernel. I have written a small test application to test the one of  driver.
In my test application, I am using mmap to map the kernel memory to user
space and  I am trying to read some register values.
My user space mmap function is as such :

 virt_addr = mmap(NULL, 4 * 1024, PROT_READ, MAP_SHARED ,fd, 0);

The mmap returns a specific address in virt_addr.

When I try to read the contents of this address , the kernel throws
following error :

 Unhandled fault: imprecise external abort (0xc06) at 0x00000000

Any pointers on this will great help to resolve this issue.

Thanks and Regards,
Pankaj Pandey