strange segfaults with CompactFlash in "true-ide" mode on PXA270

Lothar Waßmann LW at KARO-electronics.de
Wed Jun 23 11:24:15 EDT 2010

Hi,

> we have a strange problem when booting from a Compact Flash card
> as root-device. In one of 10 cases while booting an application from
> root-filesystem dies with "Segmentation fault" without a visible error.
> After booting the same application runs hundred times without error.
> (we're talking about standard appl. like chat, pppd, hwclock and so on)
>
> For debugging purposes we put printk's in kernels IDE driver
> and the problem disappeared. But replacing the printk by a usleep
> or so (which is not a solution !) brings the problem back.
> It seems that the application received faulty data from CF.
> But how and why ?????????????????????????????
>
> We tested with a custom PXA270 board with a CompactFlash in
> "true ide" on processor bus driven by "generic ide / pata_platform"
> driver from linux-2.6.27.x.
> (by the way linux-2.6.20.x showed the same problem).
>
> Any ideas, hints, experiences, patches are very welcome :-)
I guess that is the old cache problem that apparently was never really
fixed:
http://marc.info/?t=108537828400002&r=1&w=2

Lothar Waßmann

Ka-Ro electronics GmbH | Pascalstraße 22 | D - 52076 Aachen
Phone: +49 2408 1402-0 | Fax: +49 2408 1402-10
Geschäftsführer: Matthias Kaussen
Handelsregistereintrag: Amtsgericht Aachen, HRB 4996

www.karo-electronics.de | info at karo-electronics.de