Request review of device tree documentation

Grant Likely grant.likely at secretlab.ca
Mon Jun 14 01:36:57 EDT 2010

On Sun, Jun 13, 2010 at 2:29 AM, Benjamin Herrenschmidt
<benh at kernel.crashing.org> wrote:
> On Sat, 2010-06-12 at 20:45 -1000, Mitch Bradley wrote:
>
>> Either fought or embraced.  To the extent that it is possible to focus
>> solely on Linux and ARM, one could image doing a good HAL.
>
> That will come with a huge amount of comunity resistance sadly, but I
> can imagine distros liking it.
>
> In general, I much prefer having all the necessary native drivers in the
> kernel, and the device-tree to provide the right representation, and
> avoid trying to abstract "methods" via a HAL. It's the Linux philosophy
> as much as possible (even when defeated by ACPI).
>
> But if we're going to be forced by vendors into HALs, we can also make
> sure that whatever they come up with is half reasonable :-)

I think there is more to be concerned about regarding binary blobs
than HALs.  Many of the new SoCs require closed binaries to use all
the hardware right now (graphics cores in particular).

Board vendors seem to be taking the plunge and modifying the kernel
rather than trying to create a HAL for driving board specific
features.

--
Grant Likely, B.Sc., P.Eng.
Secret Lab Technologies Ltd.