Context Switching is Broken

Russell King - ARM Linux linux at arm.linux.org.uk
Thu Jun 10 10:20:15 EDT 2010

On Thu, Jun 10, 2010 at 03:16:49PM +0100, Will Deacon wrote:
> > On Thu, Jun 10, 2010 at 04:11:35AM -0700, Herman Swartz wrote:
> > > Context switching is broken. The man page for context is example code
> > > that doesn't work, but should. Does a bug report need to be submitted?
> >
> > $ man context
> > No manual entry for context
> >
> > ?
> >

> Quite. man makecontext has a fairly scary example, maybe that's it.

In which case it's a question for libc people - the kernel has nothing
to do with makecontext, getcontext, setcontext and swapcontext.

I believe for glibc, these are simply unimplemented on ARM, and linking
a program which uses makecontext with glibc would result in the linker
issuing:

warning: makecontext is not implemented and will always fail

Same for the other three functions.