setting 4-Kb page-size for kernel space in ARM-Cortex

Uma shankar shankar.vk at gmail.com
Fri Jun 4 09:30:20 EDT 2010

Hi,

         It is my understanding that  in ARM, the MMU setting for
kernel VA  range ( 0xc0000000 onwards excluding the vmalloc and
highmem space )  is set up using the section-sized
mapping ( 1 Mb in size ) ,  as this  range maps to a  contiguous
physical address range.

I am trying out a memory-checking tool Kmemcheck on Cortex.    This tool has the
requirement that it  needs to be able to set up  PTE for each 4 Kb
range of  kernel address.

So,  paging_init ( arch/arm/mm/mmu.c ) is modified for this.

But , with this MMU setting,   the kernel hangs somewhere  after
freeing init memory. ( "freeing init mem"  is the
last print I see on console. )

For  3-level page-table setting of kernel VA,  do I have to change
somewhere else also ?

             thanks