[RFC 1/8] TILER-DMM: DMM-PAT driver for TI TILER

Hiremath, Vaibhav hvaibhav at ti.com
Wed Jul 28 11:46:22 EDT 2010

<snip>

> > I think I agree with it. The tiler provides dynamic views on
> > arbitrary
> > physical memory. Ideally it shouldn't be tied to the
> > media/video subsystem
> > (obviously it should still provide an interface for V4L drivers).
> >
> > It's getting a bit hard to comment on the proposal, as
> > there's no public
> > documentation I'm aware of beside the Documentation/arm/TILER
> > file in the
> > patch set, and that information is far too concise and vague.
> >
> > --
> > Regards,
> >
> > Laurent Pinchart
> >

> [dhs] I understand what you're stating here, conceptually, but I'm missing
> some details.  Do you mean that there needs to be a generic layer between a
> given video memory allocator and V4L?
> and that set of APIs should point to
> specific functions based on availability (e.g. VRFB, TILER, future TILER,
> other IP, etc)?

[Hiremath, Vaibhav] David,
As far as Memory allocator is concerned I think it is more generic term and should not really tie to underneath hardware/feature (Tiler, VRFB or could be anything). This is long time issue with every Embedded devices dealing with Video, due to their dynamic requirement of memory/buffers.

Have you looked at Samsung (CMA) and Qualcomm (IOMMU) patches for memory allocation/management? I think it is worth to look at their approach.

Thanks,
Vaibhav