Introducing the LCD-Linux project

Geert Uytterhoeven geert at linux-m68k.org
Thu Jul 22 07:38:34 EDT 2010

On Thu, Jul 22, 2010 at 13:21, Alan Cox <alan at lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk> wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Jul 2010 14:57:54 +0200
> Mattia Jona-Lasinio <mattia.jona at gmail.com> wrote:
>> this is to introduce the LCD-Linux project (http://lcd-linux.sourceforge.net/),
>> a kernel level implementation of a VT102 terminal emulator, optimized for small
>> alphanumeric and graphic displays.
>
> The kernel already has a console and that provides an abstract
> implementation that is used for everything from text mode displays to vga
> to assorted accelerated hardware platforms.
>
> Why do we need a VT102 as well ?
>
>> functions. A solution is therefore to provide a sort of minimal terminal
>> emulation in kernel space, that can be accessed through the standard character
>> device interface. In this way the problem of the display management is reduced
>
> If you use the existing kernel console interfaces then you don't need to
> worry about vt102 v console or having two terminal emulations running.

Indeed, the kernel already has the console abstraction.

I wrote a LCD console driver (for a HD44780 connected to the parallel
port) using
the standard console abstraction several years ago. As it used the standard
console abstraction, it supported multiple virtual consoles and co-operated with
the VGA text console out-of-the-box. Just use ALT-Fx to switch between different
VCs on the LCD or on VGA.

I never published the code, though. Will do so tonight when I get back
to the machine
that holds the code ;-)

Having a bigger virtual console where the LCD follows the region
surrounding the cursor
is indeed a nice extension to have.

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

                        Geert