[RFC,PATCH 3/3] arm: remove machine_desc.io_pg_offst and .phys_io

Russell King - ARM Linux linux at arm.linux.org.uk
Wed Jul 21 04:50:24 EDT 2010

On Tue, Jul 20, 2010 at 02:32:38PM +0200, Jeremy Kerr wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> > OK, so I should request Stephen to add this branch to linux-next,
> > including the fixups?
> >

> Hm, before I do that I should probably work out what to do in the
> CONFIG_DEBUG_ICEDCC case. How about returning 0x0 as the phys address in
> this case (ie, addruart -> mov \rp, #0), and skip setting up the mapping
> if addruart gives this zero address?

It's extremely unlikely to have a UART at address 0 (because that's by
default where the CPU jumps to on reset.)  That's not to say it could
never happen - it's possible to hard-wire the CPU into 'hivec' mode
where it'll instead jump to 0xffff0000.  In that case, if you're sane
you'd put your SDRAM at 0x00000000.