Meaning of clk_round_rate()?

Saravana Kannan skannan at codeaurora.org
Thu Jul 15 02:27:16 EDT 2010

Russell King - ARM Linux wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 11:05:46AM -0700, Stephen Boyd wrote:
> clk_round_rate() returns the clock rate which will be set if you ask
> clk_set_rate() to set that rate.  It provides a way to query from
> the implementation exactly what rate you'll get if you use clk_set_rate()
> with that same argument.

Fair enough explanation for clk_round_rate(). I guess I should take it
as "it's up to the specific clock implementation on what it wants to do".

But what about the problem of a clock consumer trying to find a suitable
frequency amongst the ones provided by a particular clock?

What are your thoughts on adding the following two APIs to linux/clk.h?
clk_round_rate_down/floor()
clk_round_rate_up/ceil()

Thanks,
Saravana