[RFC,PATCH 0/2] Allow late mdesc detection

Eric Miao eric.y.miao at gmail.com
Mon Jul 12 04:39:38 EDT 2010

On Mon, Jul 12, 2010 at 4:05 PM, Jeremy Kerr <jeremy.kerr at canonical.com> wrote:
> Hi Nicolas,
>
>> The fundamental problem with those patches is that we actually want to
>> move in the opposite direction for the eventual support of multiple SOCs
>> in the same kernel, i.e. rely on the machine ID -> mdesc to determine
>> the right debug addresses at run time and eventually make the addruart
>> into something that is not hardcoded at compile time.
>
> Sure, I think that's where we're going in general, but I think the debug
> stuff is an exception - we want that up as early as possible, and with
> as few dependencies on other bits of code as possible.

The debug stuff differs really much from platforms to platforms. My idea
maybe we can leave the early debug part alone, so that when debugging
on a specific platforms, people have to use a non-multi-platform kernel,
and when building a multi-platform kernel, we have to disable the early
debugging mess?