Memory type used for ioremap

Pedanekar, Hemant hemantp at ti.com
Fri Jul 9 10:02:46 EDT 2010

Catalin,

I was trying to map peripheral region (memory mapped) nd faced problem with writes not working from kernel (ioremapped address), while writes using user space (devmem2) worked fine.

This prompted me to check if there were any differences in mapping the region when using devmem2 (mmap)and when using ioremap from kernel module. I observed that, when mapped using devmem2, the 2nd level page descriptor had TEX[2:0]=0 while in case of ioremap, the entry had TEX[2:0]=0 (C & B were 0 in both the cases).

As per ARM ARM, TEX=0 is "Strongly-ordered" while TEX=1 is "Normal" memory type, but of course as Russell has explained in the other mail, I had ignored TRE (assumed =0). So what could be wrong here? Why does userspace access work while kernel space doesn't? Of course, after *hacking* 2nd level page descriptor (ioremapped) entry to force TEX=0, I was able to write from kernel module!

Any inputs?

Thanks
-
Hemant