Kirkwood/OpenRD-Base System Crash from DMA

Alexander Clouter alex at digriz.org.uk
Fri Jan 15 19:16:13 EST 2010

rektide <rektide at voodoowarez.com> wrote:

> I'm attempting to use 2.6.32.3 on a Kirkwood/OpenRD-Base system.  This
> system has been serving fine playing MP3's via PulseAudio and MPD for
> >5 months now.  However other activities will sometime cause the
> system to lock up.  The most reliable activity is to do a "git pull",
> from anywhere.  Secondly, writing files onto the system via a Samba
> share causes a lockup.
>
> [snipped]
>
> There's a thread on the OpenRD google group with multiple people confirming the issue:
> http://groups.google.com/group/openrd/browse_thread/thread/d435787eb4e4ffd0
>
> One person has confirmed the issue goes away when CONFIG_NET_DMA and
> CONFIG_ASYNC_TX_DMA are disabled.  I'm building a kernel now to
> confirm this myself, and will report back tomorrow.

I can say it's a "me too" on mine, however I never reported the issue as
it's a known problem:

http://marc.info/?l=linux-raid&m=123606440522693&w=2

I ran into it on a USB key RAID setup when I started up a huge rsync.  I
didn't even get a trace in that situation, just a hard lockup.

Not looked at it since.

Cheers

--
Alexander Clouter
.sigmonster says: A dwarf is passing out somewhere in Detroit!