USB mass storage and ARM cache coherency

Russell King - ARM Linux linux at arm.linux.org.uk
Tue Feb 16 03:44:42 EST 2010

On Tue, Feb 16, 2010 at 01:27:53PM +0530, Shilimkar, Santosh wrote:
> Continuing on the USB issue w.r.t cache coherency, the usb host
> code is violating the buffer ownership rules of streaming APIs from
> dma and non-dma transfers point if view.
>
> We have a below temporary patch to get around the issue and probably it
> needs to be fixed in the right way in the stack because some controllers
> may not have PIO option even for control transfers. (e.g. Synopsis EHCI
> controller)

        if (usb_endpoint_xfer_control(&urb->ep->desc)
            && !(urb->transfer_flags & URB_NO_SETUP_DMA_MAP)) {
                if (hcd->self.uses_dma) {		<=================
                        urb->setup_dma = dma_map_single(
                                        hcd->self.controller,
                                        urb->setup_packet,
                                        sizeof(struct usb_ctrlrequest),
                                        DMA_TO_DEVICE);

struct usb_hcd *usb_create_hcd (const struct hc_driver *driver,
                struct device *dev, const char *bus_name)
{
        hcd->self.uses_dma = (dev->dma_mask != NULL);

Is it easier to make sure that PIO devices don't have dev->dma_mask set?