Regulators vis-a-vis Power Domains

Sundar R IYER sundar.iyer at stericsson.com
Sat Apr 3 14:12:56 EDT 2010

Hello All,

I have a few queries about regulators vis-a-vis power domains.

1. The documentation for the regulators mentions "power domains" and "switches" to be modeled as regulators. I am planning to model multiple "switches" for controlling supplies to various peripherals from a main master regulator as multiple regulators, childed from the parent regulator. Is this the right way to proceed ahead? Further the options for these switches will be only a logical on/off. (BTW, I saw lots of TI stuff which is something related to power domains, but it doesn't model the regulator framework.)

2. In the same example below, should I instead model just the main regulator, and in the driver specific enable/disable, iterate through the list of consumers, and then accordingly enable/disable these switches according to the calling consumer?. In this way, I can choose not to clutter those smaller switches as regulators in my regulator as well as peripheral driver code.?

3. Extending the same model, I want to use the _set_optimum API. Logically, enabling/disabling the child supply or setting an optimal load on the regulator must propagate the new load to any master regulator ( which can then again be set an optimal load). My understanding of this function shows me that currently, this is not supported in the function. Am I right in deducing this or have I failed to overlook some other portions in the regulator code?

Waiting for all your valuable replies!

Sundar