Collie/Simpad hacks in head-sa1100.S break booting on other machines

Dmitry Artamonow mad_soft at inbox.ru
Wed Sep 9 08:54:20 EDT 2009

Hello!

When trying to boot kernel with both CONFIG_SA1100_COLLIE and
CONFIG_SA1100_H3600 compiled in on iPaq h3600, I suddenly have been
bitten by this hack in arch/arm/boot/compressed/head-sa1100.S:

#ifdef CONFIG_SA1100_COLLIE
                mov     r7, #MACH_TYPE_COLLIE
#endif

Yes, it's silently sets machine ID to MACH_TYPE_COLLIE on _any_ SA1100 machine
if CONFIG_SA1100_COLLIE is set. And there's also similar hack (or broken
bootloader workaround, if you like) for Simpad.

I don't know if these hacks are needed anymore (for Collie with stock
bootloader probably yes, for Simpad I don't know as I don't have this
hardware), but I think something should be done at least to prevent
selecting other machines if CONFIG_SA1100_COLLIE or CONFIG_SA1100_SIMPAD
selected. Please find not very elegant, but working patch in attahment.
It just adds "depends on !SA1100_COLLIE && !SA1100_SIMPAD" to every other
machine. Sadly, I'm not an expert in kconfig - maybe there's a better way
to do that?

--
Best regards,
Dmitry "MAD" Artamonow