imx27 - hanging at freeing init memory -- getting some junk characters here after on console ..

Daniel Mack daniel at caiaq.de
Tue Nov 17 02:17:44 EST 2009

On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 09:34:44AM +0530, Vadivelan M wrote:
>    As you have suggested we tried on main line kernel also. It is hanging at
>    the same point...
>
>    Freeing init memory..
>    After this some junk characters.
>
>    We have measured the baud rate through CRO. It shows 8.6 us (115200) which
>    is correct.

Did you measure the junk characters or the 'working' serial output. The
question is whether the baud rate really changes.

>    Platform dependent changes
>                 Platform : IMX27ads board
>                                 clock changes & memory changes
>
>    will there be any platform dependency with UART driver?
>                 We did not do any modification here. It seems both the lower
>    version kernel and higher version kernel is same.

Please send in patches of your modifications so people here can have a
look to what you did.

>    Already working lower version kernel is not taking the command line
>    arguments [ passed from the CONFIG ]
>                 its taking the boot loader arguments only. so we just did a
>    hack so that it will take our CONFIG command line arguments.
>                 [commented strlcpy() @ arch/arm/kernel/setup.c - fn :
>    parse_tag_cmdline ]
>                 we are getting error : kernel panic - not syncing VFS: unagle
>    to mount roof fs on unknown-block(1,0)

You seem to have omitted the root= parameter. But frankly, I don't
understand why you're doing all that. Why don't let the bootloader pass
the options? The hard-coded config is only a fallback for bootloaders
that don't provide a cmdline tag.

Daniel