PCI hotplug supported on ARM (Kirkwood)? - fakephp?

Dieter Kiermaier dk-arm-linux at gmx.de
Fri Nov 13 08:43:56 EST 2009

Am Freitag 13 November 2009 12:21:43 schrieb Dieter Kiermaier:
> Am Donnerstag 12 November 2009 20:01:32 schrieb Alexander Clouter:
>
> > Dieter Kiermaier <dk-arm-linux at gmx.de> wrote:
> > >
> > > is it possible to boot a FPGA which is connected to an PCI bus on a
> > > kirkwood cpu (via a pcie->pci bridge) at runtime (I call it hotplug)?
> > >
> > > And after booting the FPGA e.g. via slave serial protocol loading the
> > > pci driver and access the device? This would be much easier to handle
> > > than flashing the fpga using u-boot.
> > >
> > > Is there any special framework I have to use? How can I tell the
> > > kernel to reenumerate the bus and reasign the pci resources?
> > >
> > > I have googled a lot and also tried to find something at newsgroups or
> > > mailinglists but I haven't found some valuable information - at least
> > > not for me ;). Is this possible?
> > >
> > I tried tackling this on my board by creating a new 'bus' and trying to
> > work around making the FPGA 'hotplugable' that way.  As the bus would
> > know about the process of reprogramming the FPGA, it could cleanly
> > unload and reload everything.
> >
> > http://marc.info/?l=linux-kernel&m=124441477117607&w=2

Hm, your link seems to be down. Do you have a newer version of your code
somewhere?

> > Never did get it to work and no one expressed any real interest in it
> > for the platform sadly; so I drifted off looking for other geeky things
> > to do.
> >
> > I am still personally keener on the bus model, but Geert suggested I
> > lump for a MFD.
>
> Hm, it looks like fakephp is what I was looking for but I see no way to compile
> this module on my arm (kirkwood).

fakephp seems to be integrated / ported into the pci layer?
I have a /sys/bus/pci interface:

It is possible to deactivate devices by doing:
echo 1 > /sys/bus/pci/devices/0000\:01\:08.0/remove

But it looks like  there is no way of reactivating /rescanning it?

I've tried
echo 1 > /sys/bus/pci/rescan
but without any success.

Does anybody have an idea?