#linux-amlogic IRC channel: move to Libera.Chat or OFTC?

Neil Armstrong narmstrong at baylibre.com
Mon May 31 00:20:43 PDT 2021

Hi All,

On 27/05/2021 09:32, Neil Armstrong wrote:
> Hi Martin,
>
> Thanks for starting this thread.
>
> On 26/05/2021 20:25, Martin Blumenstingl wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> today the #linux-amlogic channel on Freenode was taken over by the
>> Freenode network administrators: [0]
>> I believe it is because the channel subject contained "Also on Libera.Chat".
>>
>> Due to the recent events going on with Freenode other (large)
>> communities are also leaving Freenode, for example:
>> - Arch Linux: migrating to Libera.Chat
>> - OpenWrt: migrating to OFTC
>> - panfrost and lima drivers: migrating to OFTC
>> - (many more)
>>
>> So I think we have two options:
>> 1. Moving to Libera.Chat
>> 2. Moving to OFTC
>> 3. Trying to get back our "old" channel on Freenode
>
> I sent an email to the contact-us at freenode.net but had no answer so far, honestly I don't expect a reply.

I finally got access back to the channel on freenode:

Dear Neil,

We greatly apologize for the inconvenience, and thank you so much
for your patience.  We have transferred #linux-amlogic to ’narmstrong’
on freenode.

If you have any other questions or comments, please do not hesitate
to reach out.  Once again, we apologize for the inconvenience this
caused.

Thank you for choosing freenode.

Best regards,
Andrew

But this doesn't mean it won't happen again.

>> The steps (as far as I can tell) for switching to a new network are:
>> - creating #linux-amlogic on the new network (already done by Neil on
>> Libera.Chat and OFTC)
>> - inviting the whitequark IRC logger to the channel on the new network
>> - updating the topic of the new channel to inform users that all
>> messages are logged and the logs are available publicly
>> - updating our wiki with the new IRC network: [1]
>>
>> I am not sure which steps need to be taken to get our "old" channel on
>> Freenode back.
>>
>> What do you think?
>>
>> Personally I vote for option #1 or #2.
>> I have no strong preference on which network to choose.
>
> Neither but it seems the most users have migrated to the Libera.Chat channel, so I'll be
> in favor to switch to libera.
>
> Let us a few days to decide again and do the switch early next week.

I'm still in favor to switch to Libera.Chat,

Neil