[RFC v2 2/2] mmc: meson-mx-sdio: Add a driver for the Amlogic Meson8 and Meson8b SoCs

Martin Blumenstingl martin.blumenstingl at googlemail.com
Mon Oct 2 11:45:39 PDT 2017

Hi Ulf,

On Mon, Oct 2, 2017 at 10:08 AM, Ulf Hansson <ulf.hansson at linaro.org> wrote:
> [...]
>
>> +#define MESON_MX_SDIO_MAX_SLOTS                                        3
>> +
>> +struct meson_mx_mmc_slot {
>> +       struct device                   *dev;
>> +       struct mmc_host                 *mmc;
>> +       struct meson_mx_mmc_host        *host;
>> +
>> +       struct mmc_request              *mrq;
>> +       struct mmc_command              *cmd;
>> +       int                             error;
>> +
>> +       unsigned int                    id;
>> +};
>
> If I recall correctly, we agreed on postponing the multiple slot
> support for now as to start simple.
yes, indeed

> Therefore, can you please remove all that code, and instead only use
> the struct meson_mx_mmc_host for the data needed.
I initially wanted to keep these structs separated to make it easier
to spot which part of the logic might have to be changed to support
multiple slots
looking back at it: currently meson_mx_mmc_slot only contains very
generic stuff, so it'll (hopefully) be easy to spot the relevant parts
anyways
I'll remove it, which will even fix a warning found by the "kbuild
test robot" (where I didn't initialize but use the "slot" variable in
meson_mx_mmc_timeout)

> Just to be clear, I am fine having using the mmc slot bindings, as we
> agreed. However as only one slot is supported in this stage, we don't
> need a separate struct for that.
ACK

> [...]
>> +       mmc->max_blk_size = FIELD_GET(MESON_MX_SDIO_EXT_DATA_RW_NUMBER_MASK,
>> +                                     0xffffffff);
>> +       mmc->max_blk_size -= (4 * MESON_MX_SDIO_RESPONSE_CRC16_BITS);
>> +       mmc->max_blk_size /= BITS_PER_BYTE;
>> +
>> +       /* Get the min and max supported clock rates */
>> +       mmc->f_min = clk_round_rate(host->cfg_div_clk, 1);
>> +       mmc->f_max = clk_round_rate(host->cfg_div_clk,
>> +                                   clk_get_rate(host->parent_clk));
>> +
>> +       mmc->caps |= MMC_CAP_ERASE | MMC_CAP_CMD23;
>> +       mmc->ops = &meson_mx_mmc_ops;
>> +
>> +       ret = mmc_of_parse(mmc);
>> +       if (ret)
>> +               goto error_free_host;
>> +
>> +       ret = mmc_add_host(mmc);
>> +       if (ret)
>> +               goto error_free_host;
>> +
>> +       return 0;
>> +
>> +error_free_host:
>> +       mmc_free_host(mmc);
>> +       return ret;
>> +}
>> +
>> +static int meson_mx_mmc_probe_slots(struct meson_mx_mmc_host *host)
>> +{
>> +       struct device_node *slot_node;
>> +       struct platform_device *slot_pdev;
>> +       int ret;
>> +
>> +       for_each_child_of_node(host->dev->of_node, slot_node) {
>> +               if (!of_device_is_compatible(slot_node, "mmc-slot"))
>> +                       continue;
>> +
>> +               /*
>> +                * TODO: the MMC core framework currently does not support
>> +                * controllers with multiple slots properly.
>> +                */
>> +               if (host->slot) {
>> +                       dev_warn(host->dev,
>> +                                "skipping slot other than the first\n");
>> +                       continue;
>> +               }
>> +
>> +               slot_pdev = of_platform_device_create(slot_node, NULL,
>> +                                                     host->dev);
>> +               if (!slot_pdev)
>> +                       continue;
>> +
>> +               ret = meson_mx_mmc_slot_probe(&slot_pdev->dev, host);
>> +               if (ret) {
>> +                       of_platform_device_destroy(&slot_pdev->dev, NULL);
>> +                       return ret;
>> +               }
>> +       }
>> +
>> +       return 0;
>> +}
>
> For the above two functions, please simplify the code by limiting them
OK, I'll do that - however I'll leave that TODO comment in the code so
people know that this is on purpose

> [...]
>
> Besides the comments on the multiple slot support, this looks good to me.
awesome, thanks for reviewing!
I'll send an updated version as soon as I have time

Regards,
Martin