Installing libnl 3.2.27-1 on LM/Ubuntu-Xenial disables net interfaces

Mel Brands bighype at gmail.com
Fri Sep 23 15:23:01 PDT 2016

Hi all,

Ever since I upgraded to new Linux 4.4..0-x series of kernels, I've
had unexplained network troubles. About 1 in 5 reboots would result in
network interfaces being down and I was getting "The system network
services are not compatible with this version." from NetworkManager. I
used to "resolve" that error by rebooting... since none of the network
troubleshooting methods worked for me.

After I upgraded to 4.4.0-38-generic kernel, not even a reboot would
bring network interfaces up. I finally did some searching and it turns
out that libnl is the culprit.

You can see other reports here for example:
https://askubuntu.com/questions/727988/the-system-network-services-are-not-compatible-with-this-version-ubuntu-14-0

The solution offered above is to downgrade libnl to 3.2.21-1. I can
confirm that this works and my network interfaces work after reboots.
Judging by the dates of the posts above, it seems that this issue has
persisted for years.

Since I don't like running old network packages, I'm hoping that
someone here can tell me what's wrong and how I can fix this. I'm
willing to help with tracking down the issue.

Thank you!
Mel