Kernel Side Request Message

Hermann Maier hermann75 at gmx.com
Fri Oct 3 12:11:03 PDT 2014

Hi list,

I tried to implement the following scenario: The kernel module sends a message over netlink every 60 seconds to a userspace program, that listens for messages and sends some sort of message defined by me back. In the meanwhile the kernel module should wait for a response.
A "normal" communication is working, where the userspace program _initiates_, by sending a first message and the kernel replies with one.
I read the documentation and stumpled upon the message flag "NLM_F_REQUEST" in http://libnl.sourcearchive.com/documentation/1.1-6ubuntu1/netlink-kernel_8h_source.html. Are request messages really just for user -> kernel? Since: /** (typically from user space to kernel space */

Are you aware of any program that implements behaviour similiar to mine?

My program looks pretty much as the following:
http://stackoverflow.com/a/3334782/4100382

Thanks!