single nexthop flags bug

Justin Mayfield jmayfield at cradlepoint.com
Thu Aug 16 20:47:28 EDT 2012

Hi Everyone,

I ran into a bug today related to how Linux handles a route's nexthop
flags when there is just one nexthop.  Namely Linux expects the flags to
be OR'd into the rtm_flags field when there is only one nexthop and so
rtnl_route_build_msg needs to check the number of nexthops and store the
nexthops flags into this field prior to calling nlmsg_append(...&rtmsg).

Conversely the rtnl_route_parse function needs to pull these lower 0xff
bits when a single nexthop is detected.

Attached is my patch.  I don't like the slight duplication of doing the
rtnl_route_get_nnexthops check twice but it seemed to be the least
turmoil of any solution I thought of.

Cheers!
Justin Mayfield