Help w/ gumstix wifi interface =\

Blaine frikker at gmail.com
Tue Feb 28 11:55:19 EST 2012

Hi everyone. I'm having a hell of a time with the overo gumstix platform
that uses the Marvell 88W8686 SDIO/GSPI chipset.

It works 99% of the time and it's great. But then it stops working
randomly; we can't reliably reproduce it. We just have to wait.

A lot of people on the gumstix mailing list also say they have really bad
problems with it so it  isn't just me.

In short, we randomly get disassociated with access points. We've tried 3
different routers so far to no avail. I'm afraid we're going to lose
confidence with our client because we're nearing the end of the otherwise
successful project and now this pops up. We don't see it happen often in
our office, but it happens more often in the basement where the client
tests it. So maybe it's related to signal strength, or something (although
signal is rather strong in both locations). ifconfig still shows ip
address, iwconfig shows no association.

About a month ago we found that we got a kernel message that looked like
this when it disassociated: cfg80211:

> Calling CRDA for country: US

We are not seeing this message now, however. The blue wifi LED simply turns
off. We can't reproduce it, just have to wait for it to randomly happen
(often over night after being on for awhile).

So can anyone help me figure out what is going on? I'm going to turn on
debug messages, so maybe even a suggestion as to what tools to use or which
debug flags are going to help the most would be great.

Is there a way to find out if we're already running the latest firmware
version??

Sorry for the panicked tone, we're about out of options other than buying
an external usb dongle.

Sincerely,
Blaine