WPA can connect, but nothing to do

zamek zamek at vili.pmmf.hu
Fri May 13 08:25:38 EDT 2011

Hi All,

I'd continue the investigation and I found these:

module uap8xxx: successfully initialized, I can start stop working with
uaputl, can set wpa keys and mode too.
I can connect ot it from another pc, but these are individual functions
of 8688 chip.

Unfortunately uap8xxx module doesn't register itself into the wireless
devices list. (iwconfig cannot shows it, only ifconfig can shows)

# cat /proc/net/dev

Inter-|   Receive                                                |  Transmit
  face |bytes    packets errs drop fifo frame compressed
multicast|bytes    packets errs drop fifo colls carrier compressed
     lo:   11032     100    0    0    0     0          0         0
11032     100    0    0    0     0       0          0
   can0:       0       0    0    0    0     0          0
0        0       0    0    0    0     0       0          0
   can1:       0       0    0    0    0     0          0
0        0       0    0    0    0     0       0          0
   eth0: 45654236  301701    0    0    0     0          0         0
43925427  299342    0    0    0     0       0          0
   sit0:       0       0    0    0    0     0          0
0        0       0    0    0    0     0       0          0
   uap0:  346531    6929    0    0    0     0          0
0        0       0    0    0    0     0       0          0

and cannot shows in wireless:

# cat /proc/net/wireless
Inter-| sta-|   Quality           |   Discarded packets
| Missed | WE
  face | tus | link level noise |  nwid  crypt   frag  retry   misc |
beacon | 22

When I try to ping this interface from another pc, after I connected to
it received bytes of uap0 increments, but there is no answer, because
kernel doesn't know to existing wireless interface of uap0.
Of course transmitted bytes is 0 because of it.

My question: what is the correct method to register a new device to
wireless devices?

--
  thx,
E-Mail: zamek at vili.pmmf.hu