MMC runtime PM patches break libertas probe

Ohad Ben-Cohen ohad at wizery.com
Tue Nov 16 09:49:00 EST 2010

On Tue, Nov 16, 2010 at 4:29 PM, Daniel Drake <dsd at laptop.org> wrote:
> On 16 November 2010 13:22, Ohad Ben-Cohen <ohad at wizery.com> wrote:
>> Just to update the list, the problem with the XO-1.5 was because the
>> sd8686 has an external reset gpio line which is currently being
>> manipulated manually by an out-of-tree kernel patch:
>>
>> http://dev.laptop.org/git/olpc-2.6/commit/?h=olpc-2.6.35&id=e9bee721fb0cc303286d1fe5df4930ce79b0b1e0
>>
>> ... which makes me wonder whether we really want to take that
>> MMC_CAP_RUNTIME_PM road. I'm not sure anymore.
>
> OLPC is not the only user of the sd8686.
> Every other user will face the same problem.
>
> Other users may not have the luxury of having a GPIO hooked up to the
> reset line.

Agree; those users will need a MMC_CAP_RUNTIME_PM (or maybe call it
with the capability it really stands for which is something like
MMC_CAP_POWER_OFF_CARD).

But I want to be positively sure we have such users (or is it that obvious?).

How is the sd8686's reset line manipulated on other platforms ? Or is
the sd8686 usually just kept powered on after boot ?

I'm looping in libertas-dev.

Thanks,
Ohad.