firmware download competes with system sleep

Paul Fox pgf at laptop.org
Fri Jun 18 17:30:12 EDT 2010

i'm not sure this is really a libertas issue -- it might
be more of a USB issue.  in any case, on an XO-1 laptop
running the OLPC variant of 2.6.31, there's a problem if a firmware download
is happening at the time that the system tries to suspend.
the firmware task refuses to be "frozen", and the system hangs
with:
[  375.148013] Freezing of tasks failed after 20.00 seconds (1 tasks refusing to freeze):

there's a full log attached to http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/10176,
where you can see that device (re)discovery starts in the middle
of the system trying to suspend.

as i implied above -- i'm not really sure where to start on this.
the XO is a little bit unique in that we do a hard reset of the
wlan device when we detect excessive command timeouts.  it's
possible that this changes the sequencing of device discovery, but
i'd think any device insertion while the system is heading to sleep
might be an issue.

paul
 paul fox, pgf at laptop.org